Friday, July 22, 2011

NORTHWOODS ART TOUR coming up....

The annual Northwoods Art Tour will be starting on Friday, July 29th of this week and will run through Sunday July 31st. As usual , I'll be up in Lake Tomahawk at the Rodd Umlauf Gallery  on Friday and Saturday helping Rodd out. Here are a couple of stained glass windows that are currently there and I'll be posting more things all this week. You can click on the link on the right to get more info on the tour as well as a map to plan all your stops.
This free hanging window has 2 Brazilian Agates and a Lampwork glass bead. The other window has a Kokomo Glass Roundel that was hand blown and which I picked out right at the factory. All their glass is made right on the premises, where they have a 12 pot furnace and make both sheet glass as well as Blown Glass . This has been going on for the last 122 years.        
I had the pleasure of touring the factory a couple years ago so was able to pick up a few choice pieces. One of which is the glass Roundel in the second window. It 's clear with glass frit in  light teal and amber colors, this makes the spiral design. The roundels are often blown and then spun swiftly to flatten them. Most are very beautiful and I found I couldn't live without this one below. There's also a Lampwork bead in amber with Fine silver dots and a ring of silver plum glass.  



A little something new this year is the Stained Glass frame. I thought I would try this idea out and see where it took me. I added a large Lampwork Flower bead suspended from heavy gauge copper wire. The frame fits a standard 4x6 photo.


No comments: