Monday, June 13, 2011

A Well Spent Afternoon.....

When we recall the times  in our lives that have made us smile, we usually think of special birthdays, weddings or once in a lifetime vacations, but last Saturday I had the pleasure of remembering old times with my high school Art teacher Mr. Ron Hahlen. He was the featured artist for this particular Saturday at Outside The Lines Gallery in Dubuque, Iowa, my home town. The smile I had when we greeted stayed with me all day. Remembering all those times, made me realize once again, how my creative side of life has been shaped by this teacher. How different my  life might have been had I took typing in summer school with all my friends rather than taking the Art class that I was much more interested in. After that as much time as was possible, including study halls, was spent in the Art Department, soaking up possibilities. It wasn't until later that I realized how well equipped the Art Dept. at Dubuque Senior High was, not only with pottery wheels, kilns, wood lathes, etc. but with a teacher who would help expand our minds in just about every area from metalsmithing to pottery, to drawing, woodcuts, and photo silkscreens. It only left me wanting more. And now it remains a large part of my life. Thank you Mr. Hahlen.



 Here, for my potter friends, he uses a torch(something we now apparently have in common) to quick dry thrown parts to connect with slab built parts. I wish I could have had a photo of the finished piece. You can find more info on Ron Hahlen at  http://www.otlag.com/  You can also find out more about this wonderful Gallery there as well. Below is a small glimpse inside the Gallery, a well appointed space with lots of great art.


 

No comments: