Saturday, March 19, 2011

Anatomy of a Stained Glass Window....Chapter 1

So lately I've been working on  what I like to refer to as Flat Glass. Instead of hunching over the torch making mostly round three dimensional beads, I've been looking over my inventory of sheet glass, to make some small free-hanging glass windows. I thought it might be a good time to take some photographs and let you see how it comes together.The photos are not the best as the Fluorescent light is great for me to see, but not so much for taking pictures. A couple things happen first.....I get out my supply of stones, glass cabs, roundels, sun/moon faces, glass nuggets, and basically anything that can lay flat and be wrapped with copper foiling tape. Then it's off to the Drawing Table, where I take a good look at all my treasures and decide which one or combination of items will go into this design. For this window, I chose two Agates which had some beautiful designs within them. (You'll get to see better views with light coming through, later on in the project.)Sketching out a design also needs some thought as to what kind of glass you will use. I've chosen some streaky versions where more than one color and clear are used in one piece of glass, as well as some mottled Chicago Art glass in some beautiful tones of amber, and some clear and smokey Baroque glass. The Baroques have a wonderful wavy texture in them, and I enjoy using them frequently. So once the pattern is complete I need to make 3 copies with carbon paper. One is used as a master drawing with the glass choice written on each piece. Another is used to as the guide for placing the glass pieces,  and the third is used to actually cut the pattern pieces apart. Once cut, I attach the pattern piece to the glass with spray adhesive. Stay tuned, next up cutting and grinding. 

No comments: