Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Walk Through........


If you hadn't guessed by the photo, I spent a weekend in one of my favorite places, Bayfield, WI. It was such a beautiful day I couldn't resist taking a long walk with my camera, through town.
Right next to where we were staying was the best thing about the Rhum Line Bar....I guess I can"t actually say the best as they boast numerous varieties of Rum , which I haven't tried yet. But for now I think it's best feature is it's cupola and weather vane.


The Ferry takes residents and visitors to the nearby and inhabited Madeline Island, one of the many Apostle Islands group. It's a little like going back in time, as they rely on the Ferry for most things. The Museum there is a must see for more information on Madeline's history.
Waiting patiently outside A Stone's Throw, was Teddy the dog, one of the more likable canines I have encountered on a walk. I would have taken him home in a minute, but I doubt his new owners would ever let him go. A Stones Throw is a wonderful little gift store featuring the pottery of the owner, along with many other things to delight you for an ample amount of time.
  
Further down the street, and resting in the waters of Lake Superior, are the fishing boats that go out daily and come back with fresh Lake Superior Whitefish or Lake Trout. You can pick up some for your cooler, or sit down to a gourmet meal at the The Wild Rice restaurant. We sometimes do both as they are an equal treat.




The other thing that Bayfield seems to have is "pride of place". Everywhere in the down town area comes to life with an abundance of color. Things grow well here, I don't know how to say it any better. I struggle at home battling deer, bunnies, etc.but the gardens here overflow with multiple varieties of all shapes, sizes, and well planned designs.



 Bayfield is probably best known for it's Orchards and Berry Farms.One of my personal favorites and a Bayfield Regency Conservancy member, is Blue Vista Farm. The wonderful old barn is about as beautiful as they come  and you can see the view is aptly named.  What impresses me most is the towns desire to keep things as they are for many generations to come, to preserve the land as sustainable farms, to limit the "big box" phenomenon to the big city.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a beautiful weekend, Kath! I'm glad for you and look forward to hearing more about it. Your photos make the place look just as charming and inviting as I remember it.

Northern Light said...

Thanks Jean ...at least I'm pretty sure it's you :)

monakooper said...

Kath, those photos are beautiful makes me want to go there! You tell a beautiful story along with the photos.....good girl! Mom